E-briefing: The Amendments to the SOP Act Are Coming Into Effect
The Amendments to the SOP Act Are Coming Into Effect
Effective Date – 15 December 2019
1. The amendments to the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act (the “SOP Act”) will take effect from 15 December 2019.
2. Earlier this year, we reviewed the implications of the amendments in an article published on the SAL Practitioner, which can be found in the enclosed attachment & link below:
3. Implications regarding the amendments include:
- Payment Claims served after 15 December 2019 will be subjected to the amended SOP Act.
- A claimant will have 30 months instead of the current 6 years to submit a payment claim.
- Damage, losses or expenses will generally be excluded from adjudication.
4. As the effects of the amended SOP Act are far reaching on all parties in the construction industry, please reach out to us if you have any queries about the implications for you.
For further information, contact:
Tan Chau Yee
Partner, Eversheds Harry Elias
Head, Construction and Engineering
+65 6361 9850
Senior Associate, Eversheds Harry Elias
Construction and Engineering
+65 6361 9877